Trouble with formattedWidth revisited

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Apr 7 10:13:18 EDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 23:11:51 EDT, Cubist at aol.com wrote:

>    I've never played with formattedWidth, myself, but one semi-obvious
> possibility leaps to mind. Since you're interested in how many
> characters can fit
> into whatever number of pixels, why not try something in this
> neighborhood:
>
> put the formattedWidth of char 1 to 15 of field "myField" into myTemp

That's what I am doing, but it doesn't work if field "myField" isn't
in the current card of the current stack, at least to as far as I
understand it - it just returns zero without so much as an electronic
squawk. Bummer for those of us who want to keep our working fields
far away in obscure substacks, and worse bummer if  you believe the
RR documentation (will BZ, I promise).

Graham