[Ticket#: 2006040510000641] Re: [OT] Articles to read

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Thu Apr 6 22:05:03 EDT 2006

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Garrett......
>
> Bugzilla IS reporting it to support. What I think you might mean to say --
> and I agree, by the way -- is that it ought to be easier to report these
> things. Bugzilla is over-engineered in my opinion. I've been forced to use
> it on a couple of systems and always found it way too cumbersome.

Yes and no.  It is far too much to ask a user to go through really.
It's a big turn off to users who don't have the time to be fiddling with
such things.

> OTOH, if what you meant was, "I should just be able to send an email to
> support and tell them this is broken and then they should fix it," I can't
> agree. Bugs reported with little specificity and no recipe for their
> replication can be very hard indeed to identify, let alone squash. But you
> know that, of course.

A client should not have to know everything about how to submit a bug,
but yes, support does need as much info as possible.  So if the user did
not submit enough information, then support should pole the user for
more information.  Experienced users of course are more familiar with
how the deal works and usually offer all the possible information they
can think of initially, if not, support can pole the user for more.

Really though, it's this bugzilla thing that irks me the most.  One of
the most annoying things I have ever come across for handling support
issues.

Ya figure they would have made some sort of support reporting tool with
Rev itself and included it with Rev, with all the bugs we get with Rev,
might have been nice to supply such a program.  Ok, I'm being sarcastic
a bit there, but really, a support reporting app with Rev would have
been so much nicer, and not have to sign up for it either.  Then again,
thinking of the docs browser, maybe a support reporting tool might not
be such a good idea.

-Garrett