Ubuntu Dapper Drake to be more stable

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Apr 6 13:50:12 EDT 2006

I have not labelled this thread as "OT" because I don't really think
that it is. I would like to see the RunRev team get their heads above
water sufficently to start communicating (if they don't already) with
the producers of the operating systems we are trying to program in, and
for them to take RunRev as a force to be reckoned with when they make
decisions as to what they will or will not do in their updating and
improvement.

Very wisely, since they intend that their next version should be as
stable as possible, Ubuntu have decided to delay launching by 6 weeks.
However, the version after that is to be launched as scheduled, in 6
months minus 6 weeks after "Dapper Drake", which is now due on 1st June.
(That's not official, because I have nothing to do with Ubuntu other
than as a user. Please check the facts with the horse's mouth - Ubuntu.)

Recently, as you may know, I launched a pair of file/picture chooser
widgets for Ubuntu Linux (see http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/stacks.htm
for details). In the current version of Ubuntu (Breezy Badger), these
widgets suffer the following problems:

1) Ubuntu cannot mount a floppy diskette drive. (A fix exists, but
apparently it has not even been included in the normal repository for
downloading.)

2) When apps close in Ubuntu, they clear the clipboard!***

These "bread and butter" issues are added to by the fact that it has
become difficult if not impossible to configure certain network printers
in Breezy Badger, even though it was no trouble in the previous version,
Hoary Hedgehog. However, this does not affect my widgets of course.

I am making the same call to Ubuntu as I make to RunRev:

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT APART FROM THE LOVELY NEW BELLS AND WHISTLES, THE
"BREAD AND BUTTER" FUNCTIONS WORK AS WELL!

The question of Ubuntu clearing the clipboard when apps terminate may
well be a policy rather than a (persisting) bug, but in my opinion it is
not a good policy, and I would like RunRev to complain about it,
preferably well before Dapper Drake is finally launched***.

Regards to all,
Bob Warren

***Experimenting again with the widgets in Breezy Badger (they were
developed in Hoary Hedgehog), I have now come to the conclusion that it
is REV that clears the clipboard on quitting! This detracts from the
point of my e-mail somewhat, but the principle is the same: ALL AND
SUNDRY, PLEASE TAKE CARE OF THE "BREAD AND BUTTER" ISSUES!