[Ticket#: 2006040510000641] Re: [OT] Articles to read

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 6 15:44:25 EDT 2006

On 6 Apr 2006, at 20:25, Garrett Hylltun wrote:

> yoy wrote:
>> Sean Shao,
>> I had no bugs to complain about. I just wanted my v2.5 back after
>> my laptop died. I got that version back.
>> It's not that it was a bug, just reading the listserve, 2.7 isn't
>> "bug free" yet and not worth upgrading for my development purposes
>> (which are always freeware).
>> Take your time and do it right, is my motto!
>
> Dare I say what I think...  No, better not, already said what was
> on mind on this subject.
>
> Ok, just one jab...
>
> put varBugFree + varRevolution into varDistrobution

Amen to that!

> The rest of the code was lost because the IDE locked up at that
> point and I did not have the chance to save before it locked up.  ;-)

I get the impression that the IDE takes second place over the Engine
so bugs in the IDE go unfixed for a long time. For instance there are
loads of small bugs in the Script Editor that have been there since I
started using RunRev around 2 years ago. They drive me crazy on daily
basis. All I can think is that the RunRev engineers have a lot of
patience or they don't use the IDE to any degree, otherwise they
would have fixed them long ago. I actually fixed a couple they drove
me crazy, but of course each time I upgraded I found I had to re-do
my fixes, so in the end I just gave up. It reminds me of when I first
came to use Unix, we'd get a new distribution from the Unix-Bods
(can't remember the name now) and there would loads of bugs. We'd fix
them and send the fixes back. Then next release all the same bugs
plus a few more would be back in the code. In the end we gave up too.

One rule I try to always stick to, is that if there are bugs reported
in a release, however minor, they are fixed before the next major
release is made. If you do this then you never have that many bugs on
the list. Sure it slows down development, but it makes for a better
product. This is especially true when you are making software that
allows others to make software!

Just 5 euro-cents worth!

All the Best
Dave