Close Substack Question?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Apr 6 13:20:45 EDT 2006

David Burgun wrote:

 > I am more confused than ever now! The whole thing is more confused
 > since I have most of the "open" and "close" handlers in Card 1 of the
 > stack(s). I still don't fully understand why I need them in Card 1,  but
 > when I was having problems with it in the past someone told me to  put
 > them in card 1 so I did.

This is only usual for system messages that should only apply to that
stack when it first opens. Scripts in the card will not execute unless
that card is frontmost. If you have a one-card stack, then it is always
frontmost, so the technique isn't strictly necessary in that case (but
it won't hurt.)

 > I really would like to get this under  control
 > and have all the handlers I need in the right places and just  have it
 > work!

Let's go back to your original post:

 > I have a library stack that is opened via a start using command. This
 > works fine, however if the same stack I have a sub-stack which is
 > used for debugging, e.g. it has a field and dumps lines to the field.
 > This works fine too, until I close the sub-stack. When I do this, it
 > closes the mainStack too, so the library is "lost" to the other
 > stacks that are using it.

Closing a substack should not (and generally doesn't) close the
mainstack. The only time this would happen is if you have a handler that
"falls through" to one of the main stacks or libraries, which effects a
"close this stack" without checking to see which stack it is actually
closing.

My suggestion: remove all handlers that you have inserted to try to
resolve this problem. If you have any closestack or closeStackRequest
handlers in your libraries, comment them out for now. You should see the
behavior you want; closing one stack will not close any others when you
click on the closebox.

Once you get that far, if you still need help, write again.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com