There's a snail in my script entry !

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Apr 5 18:29:06 EDT 2006

Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:
> Hi from Paris,
>
> Thanks to Jacqueline and Mark.
>
> Jacqueline : I may be obtuse but I didn't find the :
>
> Try clicking the little icon above the "Enter" button to toggle to a
> different display option.
>
> I am running Rev on a Mac, and can't see the Enter button or the
> little icon. Where is this ?

Oops. Sorry, I meant the "Apply" button. My brain switched it around,
because the Enter key does the same thing as clicking the Apply button.

Another way to change the mode is to use the View menu. In the middle of
that menu are three choices: Autocomplete, Go to line, Find and Replace.
Choose anything that is not "autocomplete". This does the same thing as
clicking the icon at the lower-right corner of the script editor. This
is how you turn off the "parsing".

> Mark : I ran a few tests and have some more information :
>
> I run all my stacks using a HomeStack, like wot was in Hypercard !
> My HomeStack contains lots of buttons, each calling one of my
> stacks. It also ensures running the OpenStack scripts, which was
> the only way I found to be sure, and sets up global variables used
> in all of my stacks. Why would my HomeStack cause a problem ?
> It is convenient for me and I don't want to trash it, but I am seriously
> considering dropping the concept.

I do something similar and it doesn't interfere with typing, but yours
may have something that is interfering. You could try not opening the
Home stack and see if it solves the problem. If so, then check your
stack script for handlers that might trap keystrokes or anything
similar. For example, an "idle" handler could cause delays.

> I also note that during development, Data Entry in any of the data
> fields is also pathetic (also about 1 character a second) so it is not
> just a scripter problem. This of course does not happen under
> Stack Runner, where all works at lightning speed. I only have a
> "on closeCard" script in my HomeStack, and I don't trap keystrokes,
> so I can't see any of my handlers responsable for this.

That's a pretty good indication that something in your Home stack is
causing a problem, but a "closecard" handler wouldn't do it. There must
be something else happening.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com