What is the font used by Microsoft in their menubars?

Garrett Hylltun garrett at paraboliclogic.com
Sun Apr 2 05:20:22 EDT 2006

Dr. Robert E. Ball wrote:
> Does anyone know what font is used in Microsoft Windows menubars? Can I use
> that font for the menubars in Revolution standalones built for Windows?

It can vary depending on what theme they use in 95-ME/NT-2k and what
Visual Style they use in XP.

By default in 95 through ME, I believe it was "MS Serif" or "MS Sans
Serif".  Default on XP I believe is "Tahoma"

In ME and XP (Most likely 98/NT/2K also), you can get the Menu font from
the registry under the following:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics,MenuFont

It's in binary format so you'll have to convert it to get the text name
of the font being used for the menu.  I'm not sure at the moment how to
convert that in Rev.

(Rev can read registry data can't it?)

-Garrett