ODBC connection to MS SQL 2000 help needed

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sat Apr 1 11:16:43 EST 2006

On Mar 31, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Jan Schenkel wrote:

> 6) Improve transaction support: right now you can
> commit and rollback transactions, but you can't tell
> the DBMS when the transaction starts? If possible,
> allow nested transactions.
> (You could call this 'revdb_starttransaction', and
> make it a function that returns a transaction ID
> number that we can use to commit or rollback the
> individual transactions; if the database doesn't
> support transactions, return a string with a
> 'revdberr' message)
>
> 7) A little more exotic now: could you make the revdb
> library run in its own thread, and allow callbacks,
> similar to the socket communication model?
> (That way we could just fire off a lengthy query and
> the app UI remains responsive; we could get the data
> back in portions and start filling in table fields
> progressively. Bonus points for the ability to cancel
> queries that are in progress.)
>
> Of course, I'm a tad biased, as my day job is building
> Finance and ERP solutions on the Progress OpenEdge
> platform. Items 2 through 4 should help anyone connect
> to databases, and Item 1 is no surprise either. Item 5
> is something that we can do ourselves, while Items 6
> and 7 will make it more attractive for the Enterprise
> market.

Jan,

Great list.  Both points 6 and 7 would be very attractive to me (a
non-Enterprise db developer) as well.  I use rev db with elearning
and history applications.

Regard 6 - When working on editing tools for my applications
transaction support is important for having save/revert functions.

Regarding 7 - While my data sets aren't gigantic, we have to deal
with the interface "locking up" while large data sets are returned.
And this is just when I am opening a cursor that returns two fields
and dumps the cursor data directly into a list field.

Obviously any interface lockup in a consumer application is less than
desirable.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems - http://www.bluemangolearning.com