Tough revprocessing question

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Sep 27 19:19:20 EDT 2005

MisterX wrote:

>I have a solution... Testing the easiest...
>
>if you insert in your loops a casual
>
> wait for 1 millisecond with messages
>
>it will give rev breating time!

You might want to review the thread from this list back around 20th June
this year, under the subject line

> Re: Ann: Simple Spirograph-like toy program.

Worth reading, but the summary is that Geoff Canyon suggested
   wait 0 msec with messages

(you don't even need to wait a whole 1 !!)

>any other tips welcome!

Glad you found this - I was part-way through mentally composing quite a
long reply, I just hadn't got to a keyboard yet - so this saves me some
typing.

I'm still concerned about the fact that you said moire would interfere
with other apps.

>>This has two adverse effects: Rev is unavailable and your CPU
>>spikes to 100% blocking other applications from operating correctly...

and

>>When I test MoireX application which draws graphical moires
>>and more with 500X500 paint X 4 points X 3 colors (in a
>>special function realm), it blocks everything including
>>videos running in other apps! It breaks the connection to
>>chatrev, rev looks like a frozen-hung application.

It should be up to the OS to limit the impact any one app can have on
any other one by grabbing all the CPU - and as far as I know even Win
does this OK, except for the problem of filling memory, and hence
requiring large changes in page set to switch between apps. Is it
possible that you saw those problems where the Rev stack was memory
intensive as well as CPU intensive ?