data-design question

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Sun Sep 25 19:50:24 EDT 2005

Two questions as I snatch a moment to think about this project:

On Sep 24, 2005, at 9:23 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> Rev front end, talking over a TCP socket to a Python back end.
> Python (plus pysqlite2) for the back end.

I'm out of my depth here (happens fast), but you mention pysqlite,
and SQLite isn't one of the options mentioned in the Rev docs for
database-handling functions (revOpenDatabase for example). Does that
not matter, in your suggestion, because it's the Python  back-end
that would be talking to the database, and the Rev front-end would
talk only to the Python back-end, using TCP? Have I got the picture?

> freedb.org has some data that would be a basic start for data entry
> - doesn't have anything like the complete data you want, but it
> would be a start if you could get track names from there - you'd
> still need to add the author and individual player info.

Thanks for the tip. But it doesn't look that useful for my purposes.
I'm especially interested in sidemen (which no public database of
recordings I know of is interested in), and I'm interested in a lot
of stuff I'm transferring from LP much of which has never had a CD
release, or in different enough form to make it hard to locate in a
CD database.

My central goal -- it wouldn't be everybody's, obviously -- is to be
able to ask, for example: what recordings do I have where Jim Hall
solos on "I Fall in Love Too Easily"? (Of course I'd love to be able
to ask, what recordings exist where Jim Hall solos on "I Fall in Love
Too Easily" -- but this is a different order of magnitude.)

Charles Hartman