put url some url into someVar: nasty crash :(

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Sep 25 16:26:36 EDT 2005

david bovill wrote:

> My script keeps crashing Rev... and I think it is a simple as this line:
>
>      put url ("file:" & someFile) into someData
>
> But if the file is big enough - in my case a 900MB video file (or
> anything larger) - instant crash. No graceful wait for virtual memory
> to kick in :( This is OSX with 1GB memory - not OS9! Can this be right?
>
> Can't think of any other way of doing what i need - using the md5Hash
> function to uniquely identify the video files and associated text
> files. Is this a problem on Linux and Windows?

It seems to me that, even if possible, it would be undesirable to read a
900Mb file into a variable just to get the md5 hash.

On Linux you can use the "md5sum" utility, on OSX the "md5" command
(reputedly, haven't checked, may require XCode or some such package  to
be installed). On Win you may need to build your own utility - but there
are many very simple, single file sources available, with no library
dependencies, so you could build and distribute your own executable for
Win32.
(Or you could download the Microsoft utility to do this - fciv - from
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841290 )