importing animated GIFs

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Sep 25 12:36:49 EDT 2005

Recently, Nicolas Cueto  wrote:

> I've been able to import 100's of AU and JPG
> files into stacks. However, importing animated
> GIF's -- either in 100's or even 10's -- causes a
> great slow down of the computer. (I guess the
> system is busy redrawing the GIFs?)
>
> Any suggestions as to how else to import a large
> number of animated GIF's?

Hide them.

After some testing a while back, it seems that hiding animated GIFs prevents
them from being rendered (even if their repeatCount is set to -1, but moving
them offscreen does *not* (they still continue to be rendered even when
located at -1000,-1000).  Hiding them drops processor use down to 0.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design