Protecting video files

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Sep 25 00:09:45 EDT 2005

sims wrote:
> I have two groups of video files, each contains 115 videos which
> are approx. 30 seconds each. One batch is .wmv and the other
> is QT 7 H.264.
>
> I'd like to protect these from being tampered with, ideally make
> them playable only through my application which uses a player
> object that references them.
>
> Anyone have suggestions?

I'm working on something similar right now. What I did was place each
video file into a stack as a custom property. When it is time to play
the video, I write the custom property out to a temporary file with a
non-descript name in the "temporary items" folder, then I set the
filename of a player object to the temporary file. When the movie is
done, I delete the temporary file. Every time I change videos, I use the
same temporary file name. That way if something happens and one of them
is left on disk, the next video just overwrites it.

Writing a custom property to a file on disk is very fast. I was
concerned at first that it would cause too much lag, but Rev has written
17-20 meg files to disk in under a second. That was quite acceptable for
my purposes.

This method isn't iron-clad, but if the video-storage stacks have a
password set, it is difficult to differentiate and separate the movie
content from the rest of the stack. And because the temporary file is
written to a usually-invisible folder, and deleted immediately when not
in use, I think only the very dedicated would be able to find and copy it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com