A couple of 'creating games' Qs

Mark Schonewille europe at ehug.info
Fri Sep 23 10:29:42 EDT 2005

Hello Eva,

Whether you can implement your game in Rev depends on what
exactly you have in mind, of course. Communication over the
network is pretty fast with Revolution. Xavier mentioned
ChatRev, which is indeed a good example of how to communicate
between standalones over the network or the internet. It easily
handles a few dozens of users and I expect it to handle more
than 100 users without any problems.

Since I am no longer updating the computer stuff on my wanadoo
account, you'd better download my ChatRev client at

<http://economy-x-talk.com/chatrev.html>

rather than from the link posted by Xavier. Bjoernkes version of
the chatrev clien is available at

<http://chatrev.bjoernke.com>

A scrolling screen is easy. Just make a scrollbar and add a
script to set the scroll of the card. Even easier might be to
create a group and give it horizontal and vertical scroll bars.
Set the lockLoc of the group to true and use the geometry
manager to let it resize with the card. I believe that the
geometry manager is incompatible with Metacard. So, you may want
to write your own script for that.

I very much agree with you that Malte's Arcade Engine Tutorials
are very good. They contain quite a few very neat tricks for
animation in Rev. The AE itself is a very useful and stable
addition to Revolution.

Best,

Mark

--

eHUG coordinator
mailto:europe at ehug.info
http://www.ehug.info
http://home.wanadoo.nl/mark.sch
http://www.economy-x-talk.com

Please inform me about vacancies in the field of
general economics at your institute. I am also looking
for new freelance programming projects.