A couple of 'creating games' Qs

Malte Brill revolution at derbrill.de
Fri Sep 23 09:28:22 EDT 2005

Hi Eva,

first of all thanks for the kind words about ArcadeEngine. :-)
I´ll try to give some detailed thoughts on your second question. For
the first question I can give the same recommendation as X. Look at
chatrev. Not only the Client Server is impressive, but the people that
hang around there. If you have questions concerning Client server
solutions for your game chatRev is definetly the place to go.

<http://www.chatrev.bjoernke.com>

 >2. Can one have a scrolling screen?

The answer is yes, you can. I would recommend not to lay out a huge
backgroundimage like hugh does in his stack. This would be overkill for
really large maps. Instead you may want to set up a tile based engine.
Create a set of tiles (images that align to draw the map) These tiles
should have a fixed size. The next step is to create a group of buttons
that fills your card. Store your map in an array, or a customproperty.
This could look something like this:

tile1 tile1 tile2 tile3 tile1 ...
tile1 tile2 tile2 tile3 tile1 ...

The group must contain at least 2 rows and columns of butons more than
is needed to fill the card. 4 or 6 could be better though. This
technique allows you to have a "buffer" once a button scrolls out of
view you can set the icons for the buttons that are out of the visible
area of your map to the next needed image IDs. You will need to play a
bit with buttons locations to come up with a useful tile system though.
:-)
Currently I am experimenting with isometric view. And I can only say it
rocks, but setting up an isometric tile system is a lot harder than a
front or from top view.

Hope that helps a bit,

Malte

---
ArcadeEngine - prepare to WOW your audience within minutes
http://www.runrev.com/section/revselect/arcadeengine
http://www.derbrill.com/arcadeengine/forum