Updating menus (was Re: Clipboard madness)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Sep 22 16:22:47 EDT 2005

I've taken the liberty of renamin this thread, as it ultimately seems
more related to enabling/disabling menu items (and hence their
associated keyboard shortcuts) than the workings of the Clipboard
itself.  For thread-name purists, please forgive.

This issue is critical for all designers who want to make HIG-compliant
apps, and in a way it's good news that Rev's IDE is adversely affected
as it raises the visibility of the issue.

The challenge with updating menu items is making sure you trap all
possible things that might affect them.

Some are easier than others.  For example, if your interface allows the
user to cut text, then you know that you should enable the Paste item
when that happens.

But if the user has text on the Clipboard from another app, how does
your app know without something horribly inefficient like polling?

It might be nice to have a clipboardChanged message -- would that be
appropriate, or overkill?

What other changes or additions to the language might we see to simplify
updating menu items?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal