AppleScript - Silent Running?

Bruce Robertson bfr at nwlink.com
Wed Sep 21 13:50:20 EDT 2005

>>> I use AppleScript to send "hide yourself" to FM Pro whenever
>>> possible, but this doesn't help when I'm trying to access the
>>> database since I have to start my AppleScripts with 'activate'.
>>
>> Bruce Robertson:
>> Not true.
>
> Er, what's "not true" - that you're forced to see FM Pro do its stuff
> when using AppleScript or that you need "activate" at the start of
> each script?  I'm happy to believe the latter isn't required, but I
> don't think it helps since if this is left out I still see FM Pro
> screens flashing away.  However, I'm fairly convinced of the former!

It is not true that you need to activate Filemaker to do useful things with
applescript and FileMaker.

There may be some things - go to layout for instance - where of course you
will in fact go to the layout as requested and therefore it will be visible.

I don't think I've seen any descriptions of what you are trying to
accomplish. But certainly you can get and set data, create new records,
perform finds, etc without making the window visible.

And of course you can also set the bounds of the window to an off screen
location.