"Rebranding" a Revolution .exe

Scott Kane - Reptile Software Consultant scott at proherp.com
Wed Sep 21 05:31:21 EDT 2005

> I am thinking of writing a separate "Rebrander"
> application that will allow this.  Would appreciate
> any pointers on how this could be achieved - would I
> have to put the "AffiliateID" field in a separate
> substack,  or is there some way that I can access the
> internal fields of the compiled "Main App" from my
> "Rebrander" app.
>
> Hope my requirement makes sense,  and excuse me if I
> am missing a simple solution to this.

All you need to do is create an external stack file
(see the list archives for how + there is a demo
in the RevOnline Viewer) storing your preferences,
in this case the "brand details" for the product.
Then all you've got to do is create a little app
that can also open this file and use it as the
rebrander.  Then when the real program runs it
can read this external stack file and gather together
any information it needs.  No need to rename the exe
(which is complex and pointless).  You could even assign
the bitmap for the splash screen doing this.  The only
thing you can't do (on Windows and Linux) is change the
icon.  However - in OSX you can by opening the application
package and overwriting the existing icons in the resource
folder with the new ones.

HTH

Scott