Poke a Shell Variable with xTalk?

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Sep 16 20:26:06 EDT 2005

Aloha, David:

Thanks for that tip... but the "(text file + shelling to sendmail)"

cat someFoo.txt | sendmail etc.

is what we use now, and honestly we are shooting in the dark as to
when and why a CRLF is inserted into a line that is longer than 1024
characters. The attempt to use echo makes a big assumption (possibly
wrong) that it would handle long lines without that CRLF being
introduced... but without *any* line delimiters at all from echo,
it's a futile attempt to test for an unknown result.

I'll look at postalias... but as often happens with such things,--
where lo-level programming eats so much time for so little result,
and you end up going back to find an xTalk solution-- I am about
ready to "move up" and use Shao's SMTP libs... If I had started this
whole foray with that and ditched the shell thing completely last
week, I would probably be home free already...and I would have a grip
on a nice tool box I can use for other projects...

Anyway, I think we can let this thread die for now..

Thanks

Sivakatirswami