Hybrid CD

Mark Waddingham 36degrees at runrev.com
Thu Sep 15 04:58:17 EDT 2005

Although this may not be quite the answer you wanted, I've found the
easiest way to make hybrid CDs on MacOS X is to:
   1) Create a CD sized disk image (using the Disk Utility)
   2) Mount/Attach/Open (choose your favourite verb) your fresh DMG
   3) Copy in your directory structure and all the files
   4) Set it up precisely how you want it to look under MacOS with
icons/backdrops/file placement etc.
   5) Execute the following command in a terminal window:
        hdiutil makehybrid -o <iso_filename> <dmg_filename>
   6) Take the ISO image and burn away.

This will quite happily create an ISO image with:
   - HFS (MacOS) extensions
   - Joliet (Windows) extensions
   - RockRidge (UNIX) extensions
Meaning that it should work fine on virtually any platform...

Incidentally, the 'hdiutil' command-line utility is great - allows
you to do everything Disk Utility does and more. Anyone looking to do
CD/ISO/DVD image related work (and who hasn't done so already) should
definitely type 'man hdiutil' into a friendly terminal window :o)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.