Unicode Font Woes

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Sep 12 21:43:36 EDT 2005

ைலஒணா ருஒந

Aloha, Ron:

I tried that too. I used a button with the traversal off,  put this
script in the button, then selected the text in the field and press
the button:

set the textfont of line 1 of fld "Tamil_Script" to "GIST-TMOTKalyani
Bold Italic,Unicode"

Nothing happens. no changes of glyphs for the Kalyani font, no crazy
characters now (as when you select form the font menu) and no error msg.

BUT the font displayed is still "InaiMathi" which is the default
Tamil Font for Unicode on the Mac... but, and this is strange... if I
query the field now

put the textfont of line 1 of fld "Tamil_Script"

it returns:

GIST-TMOTKalyani Bold Italic,Unicode

but InaiMathi is still appearing..

More news: my source says:

"But there is a practical problem here. Most of the GIST Tamil Unicode
fonts distributed free are meant for use on Windows PCs. Rendering of
Tamil glyphs in Unicode is done differently in Windows (use a rendering
engine called UNISCRIBE) as compared to Apple Mac (Mac uses ATSUI
search engine to deal with Open Truetype fonts for Unicode."

Perhaps this is part of the problem.. but these fonts appear fine in
InDesign and BBedit...

I working on repackaging these for the ATSUI engine... maybe that
will fix it, but I still think this is a Rev Bug... if some apps show
the font, but Rev doesn't... ??

Sivakatirswami