Problems with streaming audio

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Mon Sep 12 14:13:26 EDT 2005

On Sep 11, 2005, at 11:47 AM, Howard Bornstein wrote:

> On 9/11/05, Mark Talluto <userev at canelasoftware.com> wrote:
>

>> It only happens with true streaming content.  You could
>> get around this by posting the audio files to a web server and have
>> your player check the server for new content.  Then have them
>> download the audio file and play it.  That would be a very reliable
>> solution.
>>

>> Mark Talluto
>>

> Unfortunately, the dispatch information streams in real-time and
> members need to hear it in real-time. So I'm not saving, and it
> wouldn't make sense to save, audio files for later posting.

For the record, QT streaming content through Rev on Macs is broken.
Aside from that, one sometimes has an urgent need for a workaround.
It would be possible to have a Rev app record the dispatch and
automatically upload the dispatches.  I would then have my Rev player
apps check the server periodically and download the new dispatches
and play them.  You could then have the downloaded file be deleted if
you wanted (automatically).  Rev on Mac will reliably play
progressive movies as another option.  They feel very much like
streamed content.  They download and play when enough data has been
downloaded.

> It's not clear to me from your comments and from bug 1239 whether your
> problems streaming in Rev were that you couldn't hear the stream at
> all or whether the start player command didn't work. I can receive a
> stream apparently with no problem but I can't seem to do it using
> Transcript control. Can you comment on this?

According to the server, the client does connect, but no data is sent
at all.  The server appears to be waiting for the handshake to
complete.  It never does though.  You can download my test app from:
<http://www.canelasoftware.com/pub/rev/qttest.zip>  It might be more
clear to look at the very simple 5 lines for each test.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com