Regular expression replace

peter lemay plemay at readnaturally.com
Fri Sep 9 11:49:15 EDT 2005

Hi.

I want to do several replaces using a regular expression in Revolution.

Here are two runable examples, but they both have problems.

In these examples, I want these replacements:

[rnNF2] replaced by [2F]

[rnNF3] replaced by [3F]

[rnNW3] replaced by [3W]

The first example uses replaceText and works as a 'replace all'. But the
3rd parameter is a literal. When I try this, the $1 and $2 do not
represent the (parenthesis-delimited) groups the way normal regex does.

The second example uses matchText and only replaces the first instance.
I could probably use this in a repeat, but there should be a better way.

Any suggestions?

Pete

***

put "the first test [rnNF2] the second test [rnNF3] and the third test
[rnNW3] are all here" into testIn

answer testIn

put replaceText(testIn, "\[rnN([FWS])([1-8])\]", "[$2$1]") into testOut

answer testOut

***

put matchText(testIn,"\[rnN([FWS])([1-8])\]", theSeason, theGrade) into
gotPhone

answer "gotPhone=" & gotPhone & ", theSeason=" & theSeason & ",
theGrade=" & theGrade

***