Unicode Font Woes

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Sep 11 22:11:55 EDT 2005

No one responded to my earlier query on Tamil font. Let me try again,
simpler:

Platform: OSX

I have a field with unicode Tamil script,  I enter a single
characater, it defaults to InaiMathi Tamil font, which is in the
Apple system. I select the character and change it to a different
Unicode Tamil font, (Kalyani)  it shows two square boxes for each of
the two bytes instead of the proper glyph from the Kalyani font.

If I type the same character in BBEdit or InDesign, select it and
switch to Kalyani, the proper glyph is displayed. But not in Rev...
if I query frorm the msg "put the textfont of char 1 to 2..." I get
"Kalyani,unicode"  if I query "put the charToNum of char 1 to 2 of
fld "tamil Script" I get 2965: which *is* indeed the correct unicode,
code point for this Tamil character... but the glyph for the
character is not displayed!

OK, I cut and past the two chars from Rev into BBEdit... and I get a
weird character. using "Re-open using Encoding" and select Unicode,
UTF-16 and presto, those two characters that I copied from rev appear
as Kalyani in BBEdit...

So before I bugzilla this... I just want to be very sure I'm not
missing something.

Fishing in the dark here: is Rev not capable of displaying Unicode
UTF-16 characters? These are openType true type fonts... I true some
other .otf fonts... roman... they all display correctly

Sivakatirswami