Sudden Crash and loss of saved data

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Fri Sep 9 12:32:52 EDT 2005

Alcy

sorry to hear. I've lost 3 hours of work this week due to crashes, i
sympathesize dearly! Unfortunately, Rev is just just short of perfection...
(I'd love to see Jeremy Clarkson from TopGear.com review Rev for a good
laugh ;)

Look for a similarly named stack name. I think it is stackname.~ or
something like that. IF there is, you are in luck... Rename the
stackname.rev to something else, rename the ~ file to .rev and you will be
saved... Hopefully... But Rev is actually pretty good in not corrupting
stacks since MetaCard - however you can't get a pre-crash version restored
when it does... At least on windows...

To avoid the crashes:
- Save often - this apparently reduces the number of crashed i
experencied...

- Remove the breakpoints... usual symptoms is that you click on the revmenu
and bam, it's gone...

- messing too much with links in a field also seems to cause crashes...

- image manipulations - dont get the wrong data in an image...

- Avoid duplicate image ids...

- Ah yes, the Geometry amanager can also cause some crashes...

I think rev knows about these bugs now...

To avoid the image crashes, you can review all your ids using the
application browser or my image browser which will show finer controls to
locate or avoid using the same id...

This should help you...
http://mail.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2005-June/060747.html

For the breakpoints, use Development-> Clear breakpoints - but it's not
perfect, so you can use my BreakpointNavigator which is more practical and
thorough...

http://www.monsieurx.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=180

Now why does rev crash when clicking links in huge text fields?

Although if you save, it wont crash. That's puzzling...

Other tips that might help saving your work (but maybe not the crashes):

Chipp's Magic Carpet stack
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/MagicCarpetCover/default.htm
According to that web page it says "The easiest to use version control and
backup system ever!"

Ah yes, dont forget to do backups...

cheers
Xavier