PreOpenStack Question

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 20:28:36 EDT 2005

Hi Joe -

Nope, all those messages are sent through the message-passing hierarchy
whenever a stack is opened (unless messages are locked).

They are sent by the engine in this order:
   preOpenStack
   openStack
   preOpenCard
   openCard

Each messages hits the opening card first, then the stack that contains
that card. (There can be other objects in between - this is simplified)

If the opening card (card 1 by default) has handlers for all the
messages, none of the messages will make it to the stack UNLESS the
card-level handlers each end with the "pass" command. Like this:

-- card script -------------

on preOpenStack
   doCardThing1
   -- this message will go no further - not passed
end preOpenStack

on openStack
   doCardThing2
   pass openStack -- lets message continue down the path
end openStack

-- stack script ------------

on preOpenStack
   -- will never be executed - msg was not passed by card script
   doStackThing1
end preOpenStack

on openStack
   doStackThing2 -- will always be executed
end openStack

HTH -
Phil Davis