Creating sub-menus a la the inspector?

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sat Oct 29 17:37:09 EDT 2005

>Hi Jim,
>
>If I understand correctly your question, you want to build a menu
>with sub-menus (a hierarchical menu).
>That's easy using tabs you place in front of menu items to specify
>they are sub-menu items.
>With this method, you can build hierarchical menus including as many
>rows as you need.
>You will build your menu on-the-fly at mouseDown in the way you want
>according to the number of items you have to display :-)
>Have a look at my "How to Build and Manage Dynamic Menus" available
>from Tutorials Picker to get started:
>
>. How to build on-the-fly a menu with sub-menus from an outline
>stored into a custom property.
>. How to add contextual items, checkmark, activate or disable menu
>items, etc.
>. How to respond to the user's actions: choosing a menu item, using a
>keyboard shortcut, etc.

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot. I tried using the tab before, but  all I got was something like:

Choice 1
     Sub a
     Sub b
Choice 2
     Sub c

Etc. That is the literal result of what I put in the button text.

On exploring further, I see the tab creates a submenu only in Pull
Down and Pop Up styles. I think that was where I went wrong earlier.

Small bug: If you create a PullDown button, change it to a Combo Box,
and then back to a PullDown, the button name disappears. Only by
putting the cursor into the Labels field and hitting return, will the
button name (not the label name) reappear. This applies to 2.6 and
2.6.1 alike.

Thanks again,

Jim