Revdocs on a wiki

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Sat Oct 29 09:19:09 EDT 2005

On 29 Oct 2005, at 04:41, Chipp Walters wrote:

> I couldn't agree with you more. The multiple books available for
> HyperCard, including Dan Shafer's and Danny Goodman's excellent
> tomes, were invaluable to me for learning how to work with
> HyperCard. That is one of the reasons why I'm pushing for both
> 'linearity' and 'xml' for whatever wiki is created.

Totally Chipp!

Wiki's as with HyperCard in fact (wiki's originated with, were
inspired by, and were first programmed in HyperCard) - both have the
same advantage and bloody aweful problem, of encouraging non-
linearity. It is so easy to link anything to anything that you end up
with a god-awful wiki mess, and you spend the rest of your time
trying to introduce style sheets, templates and navigation structure.

It's great for the first 20 cards / pages -but as the thing scales?!?
Also seems to have some serious long term mental effects on the
coders ability to project manage their work - oh oh another one gone
non-linear :)

One way to overcome this with wiki's is to look at the area of
overlap with blog's. I started to use blog posts - good XMLRPC
support there - for developer updates on project tasks - much better
navigation. Wiki's are good at dictionaries and free flow association.

By the way Chipp - if you are interested in the XML / PDF stuff take
a look at Apache Forrest - found it easy to install - simple and
quick to get up and running very structured project based sites with
great pdf export. Site navigation is a simple XML file. Done some
work integrating it with Revolution.