Revdocs on a wiki

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Oct 27 20:02:30 EDT 2005

well, the search function helps on wikis: enter: "PDF"

But PMwiki.org has things going for that a Rev wiki would not

#1 Professor Patrick Michaud (PM) is incredibly dedicated to  PMwiki
which is a "product" albeit open source. In it's own right, the issue
of site maintenance are handled immediately if he is not traveling.
He releases updates to PMwiki at phenomenal rates...

#2 a large number of the contributers are web-wiki admins themselves
whose job it is, or part of it is to maintain wikis and they are very
active on the site.

But why it's a good model is that it is the documentation site for
PMwiki. It's surprising to see that most people respect that and
there is very little "wiki bloat" from people simply waxing on and on...

lesson: the Rev Wiki wants to be constrained to being a documentation
tool and not become a giant blog. Surprisingly though PM has this
site pretty much "wide open" (anyone can edit anything, but he has
spamme controls built in) very little OT blogging goes on at all.

But it obviously requires a bit of dedication in terms of real time
online by  several people.

I guess I find PM wiki so useful is mostly because

a) I don't know PHP, but I have a full blown wiki and farm on our
site that I can admin the site  with very little input.
b) no dBase back end... (and that doesn't make it slower...)

I not that that community also suffers from the other issue where a
large part of the solutions and useful dialogs are all still found in
the user email forum, and much of that would never, ever see the
light of day on the wiki... were it not for Patricks dedication to
updating the docs...