Revdocs on a wiki

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Thu Oct 27 13:51:24 EDT 2005

Heather,

Your post is not clear to me on a couple of points:

On Oct 27, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Heather Nagey wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> Regarding the recent debate about extracting the current revdocs
> and putting them on a public wiki. We have discussed this here, and
> we feel that at this moment in time such effort would be largely
> wasted, as the docs are under active review right now. However at a
> later date we plan to make space available on our server for a
> documentation wiki, if people are still keen to work on that.

This is a bit of a tepid endorsement, that "someday" RunRev might be
willing to host a doc wiki if interest remains high.  Could you be a
bit more committal about this.  We have the momentum starting here.
A delaying tactic inserted into this effort is likely to smother it
with complacency.  It would be better to take a leadership role NOW
to set up the wiki (sever location is not critical, but RunRev would
be preferred) with the direct input of the community so that the
framework will work for now and for the future changes in the docs.
After all that is the point of the wiki --to be able to dynamically
upgrade the docs incrementally.  We should not have to wait for
another slow release of doc corrections at RunRev to get this
started.  Lets just work together to satisfy everyones needs.  Also I
do not believe that it is a wasted effort, if the effort is automated.

The plans and upgrading of the docs are not the company jewels --they
are the sales tools!

> If and when a wiki is set up, it will be necessary to have a
> copyright notice incorporated, as the documentation is copyright
> Runtime Revolution.

Are you saying "If and when" RunRev sets up a wiki OR "If and when"
the list members sets up a wiki?

If the latter, are you saying that RunRev will allow the new or old
docs to be put into a public wiki as long as a RunRev copyright
notice is displayed?

Having the list members start this effort (with RunRev input) could
greatly facilitate RunRev's ease and success in taking over the wiki
if that is what you desire.

Work WITH us on this, and we will work with you.

Dennis