Ensuring numeric input

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Oct 27 12:44:34 EDT 2005

Recently, Lynch, Jonathan  wrote:

>> .2 is a number
>> . is just a period, not a number
>>
>> -2 is a number
>> - is just a minus sign, not a number
>
> True... but that raises another UI issue - if the field has ".2" in it
> and
> someone attempts to delete the "2", do we keep the "." by itself in the
> field, hoping someone will type another number and then tray it on
> closeField to provide an alert? Or do we remove the decimal point as
> well to
> empty the field? And if we *do* remove the decimal, how would that be
> different from having an empty field and typing a decimal point to start
> decimal number; before the actual number is typed, there's just a
> decimal
> point in the field...

I'm wondering if all this character checking is working too hard.

For reference, I just looked at two higher end graphics apps: Photoshop and
Freehand.  Photoshop simply evaluates the characters in the field on
enter/return and throw up a dialog if it finds a non-number.  Freehand
(interestingly) replaces non-numeric values with the smallest acceptable
numeric value (0.000001).

Perhaps this could be an option.

Regards,

Scott Rossi