revdocs

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Wed Oct 26 17:27:38 EDT 2005

On 26 Oct 2005, at 23:07, Marielle Lange wrote:

> What is that this wiki can bring as benefits that this mailing list
> doesn't? Easy answer:  searching facilities. Relevant contexts (the
> very very precious "See also" section). But this is already
> provided for in the revdoc that comes in your rev package.
>
>> I really believe that getting people to use it would not be too
>> difficult. It would become a natural process - one that extends
>> from discussions on this list.
>>

> Not sure this is true. What is the major hurdle for the success of
> this wiki? Emails arrive in the mailbox. To answer them, you click
> reply, type a bit of text, and you are done.
>
> What would be the motivation to open a browser window, connect to
> the wiki, login, add a bit of text, go back to the email and reply
> "your answer is now on the revdocs website".

Email integration with wiki's is very possible. Even TikiWiki has the
ability to allow emails to be added to the comment section of wiki
pages. Also intersting is the ability to attach an email address to a
wiki page so that and changes are mailed to that address. Now if the
email address were this list (with abit of hacking - ie setting the
sender address to someone who is registered to the list), changes by
registered person would be emailed to the list. These changes could
of course be posted to the wiki from within Rev.

Jira is far more advanced in terms of email integration - Trac also
is quite good and SVN commits can be emailed to a list.