step in debugger?

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Wed Oct 26 10:37:02 EDT 2005

Thanks. No, that twist on it I had recognized -- so if I need a
breakpoint-and-step at the end of a handler, I put in a "put 0 into
tDummy" line at the end.

In this case, the breakpoint line is in the middle of the handler, in
the middle of a repeat loop or a 'try' structure. (Now I can't
remember which handler I was debugging yesterday when I finally
noticed this! though I know it's happened before.)

Is it possible that "try" doesn't mix right with breakpoints and
"step"? But I know I noticed step misbehaving when there *wasn't* a
problem in the code, so it's not a matter of the "try" having kicked
me out into the "catch". (And in that case, shouldn't "step" take me
to the first line of the "catch" anyway?)

I hope this makes more sense. I *think* this was the code I was
debugging:

     repeat for each line tLine in fld "playerListFld"
         if tLine is not empty then
             put empty into tPlayerRecToStore
             put word 1 of tLine into tPersonID
             put tPersonID into tPlayerRecToStore["personID"]
             put tPerformanceID into tPlayerRecToStore["performID"]
             -- apparently no good way to "batch" store all these
records
             try
                 get libdb_addToTable(gDB, "players",
tPlayerRecToStore, "personID")
             catch errMsg
                 put false into storeOK
                 handleDatabaseError errMsg
             end try
         end if
     end repeat
     select text of fld "playerListFld"
     [and so on . . .]

with the breakpoint on the "get libdb_ . . ." line.

Charles Hartman