step in debugger?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Oct 26 10:16:37 EDT 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:

> I've been bumbling numbly along with debugging -- and somehow it just
> occurred to me that something's wrong here:
>
> I put a breakpoint on a line in the middle of a script, run till I
> hit it, look at some variables, press Step . . . and the script runs,
> not stopping till complete/crash/next breakpoint.
>
> In any other debugging environment I've seen, that's not what "step"
> means. It means execute the currently-highlighted line and stop.

"step" means (pretty much) what you'd expect it to mean from other
environments - so there is something specific going wrong.

One possible (maybe even likely) candidate is that if you are putting
your breakpoint on the last statement in a handler or function, then
Step will just run onwards - you need to use "Step into" to step in *or
out* of a handler or function. (There is a BZ for this, I believe).

If it's not that - please tell us more....