docWikis

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Tue Oct 25 19:56:28 EDT 2005

Jonathan,

Congrats for your website. Nice addition to the family. Feel free to
step on my toes... you are welcome to dance on them if you fancy :-).

You insisted that you did it to check out how difficult it would be.
Point taken.

But the point made by Tim is an important one. You will have user
contribution when you successfully persuade them that the work they
put into this will not be wasted. In fact, I didn't make any attempt
to upload the doc on my own wiki because I was aware that structure
had to precede content. I didn't take too much time transferring the
many notes and snippets I have on my computer onto the wiki for this
very reason too.

Your document is completely unstructured (I understand this is the
source of the doc itself):
<P>altID</B> property</FONT><FONT size=3> (any object)</FONT></
P><FONT color=#606060 size=2>
<P>Platform support: </P></FONT><FONT size=1>
<P>Introduced in version 1.0</P></FONT>
<P>Specifies an alternate ID for objects.</P><B><FONT face="Courier
New" size=1>
<P>set the altID of <I>object</I> to <I>IDNumber</P></B></I></
FONT><FONT face="Courier New" size=1>
<P>put the altID of this card into myID</P>
<P>repeat while the altID of stack myStack <> 0</P></FONT><FONT
color=#606060 size=2>
<P>See also: </FONT><FONT size=3>ID property </FONT></P><B><FONT
color=#606060 size=2>

Can you control the css behind your wiki pages?

This suggests you do:
         <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" HREF="/otherpages/
red_and_gray_full_screen/wiki.css">
         <LINK REL="stylesheet" TYPE="text/css" media="print"
HREF="http://www.seedwiki.com/otherpages/seedwiki/wiki_print.css">

But can you add new tags within your wiki page that match css
divisions? This is what I wanted to do in my wiki before trying to
get more persons contribute. With divisions and conventions, the
material can be very easily exchanged.

So what about the idea of standards... Only got two respondents so
far and one is myself.
Would users of this list conform to standards if I have the
initiative to design some?  If you want to get a poor soul (me) spend
a few days on this, you should consider taking 1 minute to answer the
very short survey at:
http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-take_survey.php?surveyId=1

By experience, I know that many persons like to answer... do the job,
spend much much time on it... then when you have finished, if I am
satisfied with the work you have done, I may end up using it....
Comments, feedback? No, too early. I will wait for you to present me
with a finished product and then I may give you some feedback if I
find the time for it.

So many great things haven't been realized because of this
attitude ;-). If you believe we should go for a reliable revdoc
system... one that can easily be moved from one place to another
without too much cost if we discover that the first environment we
try has intrinsic limits or if we want to take advantage of
unexpected changes in technology... help make it happen. At the very
minimum, indicate whether you will be really to adopt the standards
if they are put in place. I am ready to spend my energy designing
good standards. I am not much ready to spend a lot of it harassing
members of this list to start using them. The spider guy moto is that
with great power comes great responsibilities.... I believe the
opposite is also true: with responsibilities come power. We can wait
for revolution to present us with a frequently updated documentation
system (which honestly, will never happen), or we can have it done
ourselves, thanks to the addition of small contributions from all
members. But for this, we need a momemtum. One or two activists will
not be enough to make it work.

Marielle
--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist