Help with image effect

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Oct 24 17:23:32 EDT 2005

Scott Rossi wrote:

> Without seeing exactly what you're doing, I'll go out on a limb and guess
>
>that yes, the images are too large for Rev to really do this smoothly.  If
>Rev had some kind of direct-to-screen option, this might be doable, but the
>images are probably a bit large for Rev to do natively. Three suggestions:

Thanks Scott - that gave me the confidence that I'm not missing anything
too obvious, so I pressed ahead.

>1) If possible, map the images down to 8 bit color, no transparency.  The
>fewer calculations Rev has to do to render the image/s on the card, the
>faster the transition can be.
>
>2) If possible, don't do a "real" scaling effect.  Instead, create the
>in-between frames in advance and show those, for example, as icons of a
>button.  But again, given the size of the image, the delay between image
>updates may still be too great, and of course, you probably want to do this
>on-the-fly with any given images.

You're right - arbitrary images (sections from an entire image supplied
by the user).

I've simply limited the max size of any image that I am trying to
animate. The user can always override my choices and make bigger
sections - and choose whether to disable the animation feature.