Constellation

David Bovill david at openpartenrship.net
Fri Oct 21 09:09:09 EDT 2005

On 21 Oct 2005, at 03:07, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>> I'd suggest making it more like an index than a complete
>> repository. Many people currently have Rev stacks available on
>> their own web-sites, and will wish to continue to do so.
>> Duplicating those stacks in some central repository places a
>> burden on someone to keep it up to date. And it's easy to run a
>> link-checker on an "index", but not easy to run an "is it up to
>> date check" on stacks.
>> So by all means allow stacks to be put into the repository - but
>> also allow for the (I suspect more common) case where the stack is
>> already available on-line, and only a pointer to it is needed in
>> the central place.
>>

> I think that's an excellent idea.   Very much like RevNet.

Well exactly like RevNet - no? And RevNet is much more useful as it
is within the Rev envoronment! So yes - nice simple addition to
publish these links on a page - but I'd still go on using RevNet.

On 21 Oct 2005, at 02:43, Ben Fisher wrote:

>  I propose that a central website be created, full of code from the
> Rev
> universe. More structured than a wiki, files would be uploaded into
> categories and directories, but the whole database could be quickly
> searched. Most importantly, there would be a section composed of
> tools and
> utilities all completely free and open source.

The poitn I think of the original post was to add new functionality
that supports collaboration on "the same piece of code / cokponent".
For me this must work within the Rev environment, and should be based
around subversion (SVN) linked to a structured wiki like Trac or Jira.

> I know websites like this
> already exist, but it would be so much cooler if there were one
> authoritative Rev Source.

Getting the "authoritative " in there is the hard bit - especially
without RunRev supporting a clear open source componenet strategy
(along side commercial development of the product). Everyone is
rolling their won - which the pragmatists say we should roll with -
for me i am up for shaking this thing up a bit.

Ben - i would propose to you if you are interested to work out this
code collaboration with a small group of people interested in open
source collaboration - not the same as free to use stacks or plugins
developed by a single author.

For me the best would be to work with Mr Daniels Constellation and
provide open source plugins within that environment. To do that we
need a plugin for plugins architecture - that is the internal
workings of Constallation need to be revealed through an API -
probably custom properties so that other plugins written by the rest
of us can leverage the great work Jerry has done?