Pre-Fab Profile Set?

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Mon Oct 24 13:44:27 EDT 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:

> I've been doing a lot of thinking and exploring the issue of code/
> component reuse in Rev the last week or so. Yeah, I know; I really
> need to get out more.
>
> It occurred to me that Profiles, which are designed to deal with
> the need for various versions of a stack/app in different languages
> and with different OS deployments, are probably the "right" (i.e.,
> Rev-preferred) way to deal with the few but sticky cross-platform
> issues we face all the time such as fonts. Then it occurred to me
> to wonder if anyone has written a sort of pre-fab set of profiles
> that could be integrated into a Rev app so that the fonts, field
> spacing and other issues that crop up from time to time would be
> handled semi-automagically at runtime.

Funny, I have been working on this this week. Very happy with the
results.

Construction of a visual interface in a xul/laslzo way.
One document that gives information about the way basic rev controls
need to be drawn (within rev)
Another document that gives information about how the widgets defined
into a xul kind of file translate to rev controls. I used the word
widget rather than control because you can define elements that
correspond to a group of controls rather than a single one (for
instance, have a "go url" button that goes to the url defined in a
neighboring text box).
Another document that defines the visual interface and where each
widget should appear on the screen.

Defaults are defined at each level. They are overwritten at the next
level. Very easy localisation. Very easy access to data stored in a
xml file or a sql database.

To clarify. File 1 (rev controls properties) is development
environment dependent. But File 2 and 3 are DE independent. You only
need to rewrite File 1 (and the libraries that understand how to draw
controls given the properties defined in this file) to carry your
full application over another environment.

> Has anyone done such a thing? Any ideas for approaching this?
> Anyone want to offer to provide something like this? I don't have a
> current need for it but it seems to me that it could almost become
> a requisite part of any new app I write that's destined for multi-
> platform deployment.

David (Bovill) is playing with similar ideas. Xavier too at another
level.

Can we create a working group? I am interested in collaboration but
not in making everything widely available right now.

Marielle
--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk, M.Lange at ed.ac.uk