database

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Mon Oct 24 10:37:48 EDT 2005

Not to say Lynn is wrong but if a database is well organized in terms of
functionality, it can beat the
pants of a compiled database which woudl suffocate with too much
information.

Call it the space-folding starship...

Before valentina existed, i had to port a database from a PC to Macs for a
professional product.
Some 700000 records with relational links on which FileMaker just
choked...

It took HC 3 days to import the data but after that it was 2 seconds
access even on a CDROM...
But preparing the information was paramount for this trick which we can't
all afford...

Surely if i had Valentina then, i could have said it choked on that many
records... ;) And any
database can be tuned for optimum performance one way or another for
specific data sets...

The free stuff usually takes longuer to develop though ;)

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 24/10/2005 16:26:05:

> > What motivates you to create such a beast for free? Surely it
> > took an enormous amount of work for you?
> >
> > How does serendipity compare on speed to database programs written in
> > C++?
>
>  Jonathan,
>
> I don't know how he could seriously answer your question. Valentina 2 is
> usually several multiples faster than other C/C++ based databases, so
it's
> like comparing a footrace with five different star ships, "system based"
and
> faster-than-light versions.
>
> If speed is a concern at all, anything that is not compiled to machine
code
> isnt going to work for you. If all you are going to do is store a
thousand
> records locally and you don't need lightning speed, just about anything
will
> work for you. It just wont grow very fast.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lynn Fredricks
> President
> Paradigma Software, Inc
>
> Joining Worlds of Information
>
> Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
> Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network
> http://www.paradigmasoft.com

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER