Best Update Standalone Scenario

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Oct 23 16:47:52 EDT 2005

Chipp:

"up to you" right.. we have the same thing going on now on the Mac with

/HD/LIbrary/Application Support/

# better, I think, for the "mainstack.rev" than preferences, though I
could be wrong...but on the Mac the "big boys" seem to have some
criteria (which not everyone follows by any means) for what goes
into /Application Support/ and what goes into /Preferences/
Typically, in the past,  the latter-prefs can be 100% volatile
without breaking your app.."Trash your prefs" being a typical first
line of attack on a problem... while /Application Support/ carries
critical components, with which the entire app or some funcationality
of it, will fail completely without re-installation...

and

/HD/Users/Chipp/LIbrary/Application Support/

then, finally, just to be absolutely clear and in case newbies are
lurking..
  and we haven't addressed this as yet...All of this assumes that the
user can put the SplashScreen-Engine-Player.exe file anywhere they
want to...

Right?

Typically you have no control over this anyway... one person
("Whatever!")  has his desktop set as the downloads folder, other
"Virgo Types" ("I Need Perfect order!") meticulously  set up
downloads folders, then move their downloaded files out to other
logically named (for them, their projects) folders...

Which would also mean that for a dual file distribution--where you
ship both the

SplashScreen-Engine-Player.exe
MainMyAppStack.rev

together... they will land on the HD in some unknown location: you
would need an additional procedure (not so far mentioned) to move/
copy MainMyAppStack.rev to the specialFolder on start up...

I'm finding that though developers tend to live all day long with a
pipe open to the net, "out there in the real world" that's not always
the case. so one has to consider a single download for installation
with the possibility that the next time the person boots, they will
not be online -- their teenage daughter is having a 2 hour session
with her friend on the phone. Or,  people are using portables and are
sitting in the dentist's office and they don't have a
connection....and you don't want your splash screen to say "Sorry, I
know you already downloaded this application but you have to be
online to continue in order to *really* download it [to now get the
MainMyAppStack.rev]

e.g. we just set up an agreement with eGranary for distribution of
large portions of our web content to remote servers (e.g. big box in
a high-school in Nairobi, Kenya) where the model is: download
terrabytes of resources to a local server, then let 500 users on the
LAN have access to the files with no outside connection to the the
"real" internet required... of course this model breaks everything in
terms of updates, which is an issue for eGranary that they are
working on... but, you get the point.. lots of users will not be
online after initial installation.

i.e. so, isn't the dual file "package" the normal initial distribution?

Sorry for dragging this out but it seems a "mission critical" area to
have totally "smooth" and we are looking to launch some very
"professional" apps in the not too distant future to a very broad
audience for which support could be an incredible issue.. .we don't
want to be drowning in a sea of bug reports.

Sivakatirswami