OT: Bush in Free Fall

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sat Oct 22 14:13:54 EDT 2005

>Message: 13
>Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:48:43 -0700
>From: Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net>
>Subject: Re: OT: Bush in Free Fall
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Jim-
>
>Friday, October 21, 2005, 5:51:36 PM, you wrote:
>
>>  something else. There is some complicated physics there.
>
>Here's a paper on the free-fall physics behind the animation, although
>it's still beyond me at the moment, although using Verlet integration
>for molecular dynamics does sound appealing:
>
>http://www.gpgstudy.com/gpgiki/GDC%202001%3A%20Advanced%20Character%20Physics
>
>--
>-Mark Wieder
>  mwieder at ahsoftware.net

Mark,

I didn't look at the link carefully (actually I scrolled rapidly to
the bottom of the window) but it may not deal with the specific
problem faced by the falling Bush, not to be confused with the
burning bush.

That animated character is physically  equivalent, I think, to a
series of linked rigid rods. So imagine a set of linked rods and an
impulse is applied to one of them--when it strikes a ball. You know
the impulse (technically  the integral of the force over time) is
normal in direction to the surface of the ball at the point of impact
(and normal to the rod segment as well) and is of such  a value  that
it brings the point of impact momentarily to rest--the rod
momentarily rotates about the point of impact. From this one must
work out how that impulse affects not just that rod but all linked
rods. It is a nightmare physics problem. Even the manner in which the
model slithers over the balls is a work or art and physics.

A  simpler problem would be a single falling rod with an angular
velocity omega and striking a fixed peg. Determine the subsequent
motion. Not a simple problem. But imaging a series of linked rods?

Someone has a lot of time on his or her hands.

But, thanks for bringing it up. Shows what a dedicated mind can accomplish.

Jim