Best Update Standalone Scenario

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Sat Oct 22 03:20:41 EDT 2005

Hi Sivakatirswami

That's an excellent topic...

I like the simplicity and safety of many programs I use

- auto-watch web updates - with an option to turn it off
- downloadable improvements, selectable in a list. keep old versions
available - for old client (filter out the inaplicable or installed
objects).

The other simple system, not as practical, was the simple help menu check
with a website visit... download the update. quit the program, run the
update and done...
The good thing about this last one is that I allows lots of safeties like
backups in between... Not that the other types of updates show less but it
may be less apparent and you may not have control over what is done...

Then like Chipp mentioned, there's the stack component. Which is like the
first method I mentioned... But with added "functionality" not just data...

I don't know if updating scripts on the fly works - certainly not for the
compiled stack but for the "library" stacks, it's certainly or probably
doable. But it's just as easy to replace these libraries.

The point being that you have to think in advance how you want your updates
to work... Data, GUIs and Code all have options... Don't forget backups can
be important too...

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo