Paypal not responding to rev cgi post

Thomas McCarthy tominjapan at excite.com
Fri Oct 21 21:01:26 EDT 2005

Scott Rossi wrote:
>Since your students are first going through your system and storing a unique key, your CGI could also generate an HTML download page with that key (or some other unique identifier) as part of the Web address (ie http://www.mydomain.com/download/user72635463.html).

There's no need for a unique web page. The return address I've supplied to paypal points to a cgi and that generates a page based on the variables passed (including the "custom" variable which I use for tracking).

>And since PayPal allows you to specify a "thank you" page URL among the cart parameters it receives, you could include the URL of the download page as the thank you page. So when a transaction is completed, the user will be automatically routed to the download page created by your CGI.

I don't think this is recommended because the payment might not be complete or verified (it could be a cheque). So a "Thank you" cgi generator is better than a static page--you can test whether the payment is completed and generate an appropriate response; 'Thank you, here's your key' or 'Thank you, your key will be emailed to you when your payment clears.'

To sum up: everything is working dandy. It's just that my post to PayPal at the validation point is not returning any value. Thanks anyhow.

tm