Constellation

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Fri Oct 21 15:43:10 EDT 2005

What is an outliner?

-----Original Message-----
From: use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com
[mailto:use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com] On Behalf Of Andre
Garzia
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 3:33 PM
To: How to use Revolution
Subject: Re: Constellation

On Oct 21, 2005, at 4:44 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> It is a fundamental Truth of the Universe (when you reach my
> advanced stage of life you can even afford to pontificate now and
> again) that everything takes longer than you think it will even
> when you take into account that everything takes longer than you
> think it will.

I have told you my theory that if every project takes longer than
imagined than you just go stacking them like domino tiles and hope
that when you finish a easy one they will all be solved in chain
reaction! :-)

jokes apart, I think the best approach to get something done is
1) write a spec, something to guide you, like what problem you're
trying to solve (thats an important question), how should your app
behaves.
2) Adopt modular paradigm like model-view-controller, something to
split GUI from code so that your code will be portable and maintainable.
3) Follow deadlines, even if you don't have one, go and create
artificial one with punishments like: if I pass 10 of october without
an alpha version of my new superduper rev game I shall be honor bound
to drink a cup of orange juice with 3 spoons of salt....
4) Always research, chances are someone created something similar to
what you're trying to do, see how they did it, learn from others. For
example, I love outliners and am trying to build a little one for
personal use in Rev, I just downloaded everything from MORE to
OmniOutliner and checked... decided I need to learn more.... :-)

at least this is what my workflow looks... and yes, it still takes
longer than planned.

andre
subscription preferences: