Constellation

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Oct 20 20:59:45 EDT 2005

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Ben Fisher wrote
>
>>  I propose that a central website be created, full of code from the Rev
>> universe. More structured than a wiki, files would be uploaded into
>> categories and directories, but the whole database could be quickly
>> searched. Most importantly, there would be a section composed of
>> tools and
>> utilities all completely free and open source.
>

> I can create a section at revJournal for that.
> Would you like to be the editor of that section?

I'd suggest making it more like an index than a complete repository.
Many people currently have Rev stacks available on their own web-sites,
and will wish to continue to do so. Duplicating those stacks in some
central repository places a burden on someone to keep it up to date. And
it's easy to run a link-checker on an "index", but not easy to run an
"is it up to date check" on stacks.

So by all means allow stacks to be put into the repository - but also
allow for the (I suspect more common) case where the stack is already
available on-line, and only a pointer to it is needed in the central place.