AW: Revolution back to HyperCard

Thomas Fischer fischer at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de
Thu Oct 20 18:10:19 EDT 2005

Hi,

> I been wondrin, so I might as well ask.
>
> I get the impression that few, if any XCMDs or XFCNs have been
> written for Rev because its engine and native language are fast
> enough to make them unnecessary.
>
> Correct? Exceptions to the rule?

Well, not really. I'd like to but I can't get the darned thing to work (using XCode on Mac OS X).
I tried filtering log files, and there my old HyperCard XFCNs where about 800 time faster (about 50 min vs. 3.8 secs) for an 80 MB file. But I have also a 2 GB file, this would take ages using the built-in filtering. I asked the externals list, but I might repeat it here:
I am trying to build some external functions using XCode on Mac OS X. These will only very marginally interact with the stack itself (essentially asking the itemDelimiter or so).
I was wondering if somebody knew or could provide a very simple XCode project of an external function that I could use as a starting point (some kind of "Hello World!" would do). For now I ended up with a project that compiled a bundle, but when I set my externals to that bundle the function was not recognized (the externalFunctions is empty).
This is still the state of affairs. There are only some very complex projects available (involving scores of files, half of which I don't understand), so I would really appreciate something very simple that can be compiled with XCode.

All the best
Thomas

--
Thomas Fischer