help with custom sort

Ron Noice ron at ecionmicroed.com
Thu Oct 20 08:46:09 EDT 2005

Thanks. I've adopted/adapted the previous idea and it worked well so I'm going to stick with it. But will keep your suggestion for future reference -- never can tell when these things will come in handy! Thanks.

... Ron

*** From: FlexibleLearning at aol.com  (FlexibleLearning at aol.com)
*** Dated: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 02:07:08 EDT

 Hi Ron

 I found this synchronized list  sorting handler in the Scripter's Scrapbook.
 It may need a bit of tweaking for  rev, but may give you some ideas...

 local lKeyData,  lLineCounter

 on sortBy keyField -- parallel sorting of linked  flds
 put fld keyField into lKeyData
 put  "data1,data2,data3" into dataFields -- fill in your fld names  here
 repeat with i = 1 to the number of items of  dataFields
 put 0 into lLineCounter -- must be reset  prior to each sort
 sort lines of fld (item i of  dataFields) by key()
 end repeat
 end sortBy

 function  key
 add 1 to lLineCounter
 return line  lLineCounter of lKeyData
 end key

 Based on an old HyperCard script by  Brett Sher.

 HTH

 /H

 -----
 I have a field containing  several items including one for month/year pairs
 such as:
 Oct 2005
 Apr  2005
 Feb 2004
 Jan 2006
 Apr 2005
 Aug 2005

 Is there any clever  way to get these lines sorted chronologically? What I've
 been doing so far is  generating a real date from them:
 Oct 1, 2005
 Apr 1, 2005
 etc.
 in a  hidden item and sorting that.
 This works but I'm betting there's a way to do  a custom sort thingee that
 works directly from the original values. But so far  I've come up with nada. Any
 clever ideas?

 ... Ron
 -----