Filtering for uniqueness in a list

Harvey Toyama harvey.toyama at qlogic.com
Wed Oct 19 19:31:32 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have a task that requires aggregating multiple lists and dropping
non-unique entries. My lists come from MySQL tables.

My alternatives seem to be:

1.  Create a temporary table in MySQL and use the REPLACE

    function with each table (list)

    pro:  the REPLACE function ensures uniqueness

    con:  I must grant the user a CREATE privilege

          and I'd rather not

2.  Read the lists into my Revolution client and perform

    the uniquification there

    pro:  I don't compromise the MySQL security

    con:  I think I have to use a REPEAT loop to

          compare subsequent lines in the sorted

          aggregate list

Does anyone have a good, fast method for ensuring uniqueness in a multi
word list?

-- Harvey