docWikis

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Tue Oct 18 21:04:39 EDT 2005

Hi Marielle,

I visited your site, and bookmarked it. I am certainly sympathetic to
your goals and philosophical position. Rev users generally seem
sympathetic to the manufacturer -- wish it well, want it to succeed.
Me too.

My initial reaction -- what's there is admirable. The documentation
you have written is somewhat clearer and less terse than Rev's native
documentation, with more examples. Of course the number of items and
issues documented is relatively small. I didn't spend a lot of time
exploring -- I might have overlooked something. I'm sorry you're
disappointed with the overall reaction so far.

Beyond that, I wonder if initial visitors will be daunted by the task
of re-writing Rev's native documentation and moving it to your wiki,
while simultaneously improving and supplementing the native
documentation. If Rev's native documentation can't be moved wholesale
to a wiki, with its hyperlinks, "see also" links, and so on, intact,
for the sake of wiki-type improving and supplementing, I fear too
many potential wiki users will be too daunted, and it just won't
catch on.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

Tim