AW: finding and parsing internet shortcuts in Win

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 15:27:43 EDT 2005

On 18 Oct 2005, at 3:15 pm, "Thomas Fischer"
<fischer at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

> Window's Internet shortcuts have the invisible ending ".URL" much in
> the same way as links have the invisible ending ".lnk". Both are not
> shown with "Show Extensions" and neither with the properties, but if
> you open a DOS box and type "dir" in the right directory, they will
> show up. I don't know which other software will give you access to
> these endings, though.

Thanks, Thomas.  The mist is slightly clearing.  The only "other
software" I care about is Rev ;-)

Could I prevail upon someone using Windows to get the files or the
detailed files in a folder including an internet shortcut to see
whether this mysterious extension is seen by Rev?  If not, has anyone
else any bright ideas how I could identify Internet Shortcuts?  I mean,
how does Windows do it?

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow

http://www.i-psych.co.uk